Our new Baby Tuck Sheet is a firm-fitting mattress sleeve for newborns who are not rolling. Designed to use over the top of a swaddle or sleeping bag, the Baby Tuck Sheet provides added security, comfort and warmth during sleep. Part of our First Bedding Collection, the Baby Tuck Sheet is designed to complement your baby's TOG rated Swaddles and Rompers for safe, secure and comfortable sleeping. Made from our signature GOTS-certified organic cotton, and bamboo, the Baby Tuck Sheet is also non-toxic certified and oh-so-soft on baby's delicate skin.
We design product with safety first as a priority. Safety is the cornerstone of the ergoPouch brand, along with support for all parents on their journey. We want to assure parents that the Baby Tuck Sheet product has been through stringent testing trials, has been approved as safe by leading Australian infant safety group INPAA, and follows Red Nose guidelines for safe sleep.
Key safety points
- The Baby Tuck Sheet has been stringently tested and approved as safe by leading Australian safety organization INPAA.
- The Baby Tuck Sheet is a firm-fitting mattress sleeve that follows Red Nose safe sleep guidelines for baby bedding.
- The Baby Tuck Sheet is designed for newborns and babies who are not rolling. When the right size is used, the sheet cannot be pulled over a baby's head, become untucked from the mattress or be classified as loose bedding, in any way.
- The Baby Tuck Sheet is TOG-rated and light enough to work with our existing range of pouches, but firm enough to provide added security and comfort to a newborn.
- The Baby Tuck Sheet comes with a new What to Wear Bedding Temperature Guide to help parents understand how to use it in conjunction with our TOG rated swaddles, sleeping bags and layers to prevent overheating.
- Discontinue use once baby shows signs of rolling.
Who is the Baby Tuck Sheet for?
The Baby Tuck Sheet is for newborn babies, who are not yet rolling. The Baby Tuck Sheet is designed to provide extra comfort and security against startle reflex, to help give your baby the enclosed feel of being in the womb. Once the startle reflex starts to disappear (usually around 8 weeks) and your baby shows signs of rolling, discontinue use of the Baby Tuck Sheet. We love the Baby Tuck Sheet because...
- It helps baby to settle to sleep faster due, to the firm-fit feel across their chest.
- It's made from non-toxic certified organic cotton and bamboo, with a bit of elastane for stretch and to ensure comfort. The stretch will ensure full chest expansion when breathing.
- The soft and organic fibers are healthier for your baby during sleep, ensuring no toxins against their porous newborn skin. Our natural fibers are breathable to prevent overheating and are sustainably farmed and manufactured. The quality of our material makes our product long-lasting so you can use it for future kids, or hand down to family and friends.
- It's TOG-rated to work with our range of Swaddles and Rompers. We've included a new Room Thermometer and What to Wear guide in the pack to take the guess work out of which combination of TOGs you will need across these products, to keep baby warm for sleep.
- It's adjustable. The double zip on each side will allow you to customize the fit for your baby and mattress size, and strength of startle reflex.
- It can't become untucked. The clever design (a sleeve that fits over both sides of the mattress) means that the sheet cannot be lifted high close to baby's head.
Why we created the Baby Tuck Sheet
It's common practice in a maternity ward or ante-natal class for a midwife, nurse or sleep consultant to show you how to swaddle your newborn, then firmly tuck a sheet or blanket on top of them in the bassinet or crib for extra comfort and warmth. As parents, we've experienced this first hand.
We're also aware of the risk loose bedding can pose in a baby's sleep environment, and have long advocated for safe sleep practices by removing loose bedding and replacing it with TOG-rated swaddles and sleeping bags.
However, we know there are many parents in our community who continue to follow the advice from their medical practitioner or sleep consultant, and use a blanket in conjunction with their swaddle. For such parents, they may be wanting to provide extra security for startle reflex, or more warmth in cooler environments. We wanted to create a product that was safer for these families, and posed less risk in line with our mission to support ALL families on their sleep journey with safe products and natural fibers.
How to use the Baby Tuck Sheet
- Slide the Baby Tuck Sheet onto the end of your baby's bassinet or crib mattress like a pillow slip, so it comes up both sides of the mattress and cannot be untucked.
- Choose the 0.2 TOG side up for a light layer with less firmness, or the 1.0 TOG side up for a firmer fit and more warmth. Though the primary purpose of the Baby Tuck Sheet is not for warmth, we've made it TOG rated to work with your Cocoon Swaddle Bag and Layers.
- Dress your baby in their Layers and Cocoon Swaddle Bag underneath the Baby Tuck Sheet. Follow our new Bedding Temperature Guide (included in pack) which will tell you the combination of swaddle/layer TOGs to wear with your Baby Tuck Sheet, according to your room temperature. This will help ensure your baby does not overheat.
- Unzip the Baby Tuck Sheet, and gently lay your baby under the open folds. Their feet should be touching the end of their bassinet/crib for safety.
- Zip up the Baby Tuck Sheet. Two zips on the Tuck Sheet allow you to adjust firmness for fit, safety and comfort. Choose the middle zip for a wider fit, or the outer zip for a firmer fit. You should easily be able to zip up the sheet, and firmly fit two fingers between the sheet and your baby.
- Once zipped up, the Baby Tuck Sheet should not come up higher than the middle of your baby's chest to follow Red Nose safe-sleep guidelines for baby bedding.
- If it is coming up higher, simply tuck more of the product under the mattress until the desired length is achieved. Continue to adjust as your child grows in length.
- To remove your baby from the Baby Tuck Sheet, simply unzip.
- Discontinue use once your baby shows signs of rolling, and their startle reflex begins to disappear (usually from 8 weeks of age).
The Baby Tuck Sheet comes in a bassinet and crib size. We advise parents to use the appropriate size for your child's length on the right mattress (e.g. bassinet size for a newborn, on a bassinet mattress).
The firm fit makes it very difficult for a young baby with limited motor skills and strength to wiggle down, or sideways under the sheet. We advise to discontinue use once your baby becomes more active and shows signs of rolling. If your baby manages to get out of the sheet by kicking it off, the sheet will lie flat against the mattress. The sheet cannot be kicked or pulled upwards towards the face, due to its design.